Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Need for Groundrules and more

Yesterday, I spent a good bit of time organizing my activities associated with all things related to the Maus blog; otherwise I was in serious danger of having the Maus turn into a huge rat.    

Those of you who have been selected to review the blog and provide feedback before the big publicity push (ha ha ha ha ha), will notice I have a number of new logos and badges on the right side of the page.  I put them there to remind myself there have to be limits to this endeavour. 

So, those badges represent the groups in which I currently have membership and have made commitments to complete projects.  My goal is to limit the outreach, euphemism for over-extending the Maus,  to no more than 10 groups.   Since I also teach Knitting and Crochet at one of the "big box" craft stores, I have maxed out my availability and capacity for craftiness. 

The ground rules have been established and I hope you, my initial followers will send out the love....a smack up the side of the head will work, when I start expanding my horizons. 



Today was a very productive day.  I completed the third Block for the Sewing Loft and Patchwork Posse Quilt-a long....

3D Block  




 12 Pockets give it the 3D effect

The block looks complicated but it was the easiest one so far.  Pictures are already uploaded and posted on the Flickr site, so I'm done with the Posse until next Tuesday.


Over the weekend, I joined the Quilt-a-long with "don't call me betsy."  I couldn't resist joining this one, just based on the name.  Elizabeth has a significant following and I came late to this party.  The other members have been playing with foundation paper piecing since the beginning of January, which caused me to worry if I could catch up.  

The great thing about this group is it's a once a month activity and then the process was so easy as long as you follow the proper steps, I am now a paper piecing convert.   It's actually quilting by numbers and can be very useful when working with detailed and complex designs.

Here's my completed block...love those pinks and greens


Lucky Star

 
 

It is a bit wonky, but that's the beauty of modern quilting.   The other 11 blocks for the quilt will also be stars and some are just breathtaking with the intricacy.   



I also managed to photograph the various quilting works in progress (WIPs), so I had to join the WIP Wednesday group to push me to finish these quilts.  I have to find a WIP support group for Knitting!


First on the list, is the Breast Cancer Lap Quilt I started for my sister, Angela when she went in for surgery.  I just need to complete piecing the back once I decide how I want it to look and then send it off to have it professionally quilted using the BC ribbon motif, by my friends at the Missouri Star Quilt Company.   It's a disappearing four patch pattern I found in MSQC's tutorials when I was contemplating trying quilting again.


45" square Quilt top



Here you can see the movement in the design

The goal is to have the back completed and the quilt in mail by next Wednesday, Feb. 6th, so I can get it back to add the binding and then get it to Ang for her birthday in March.

Tomorrow, maybe I'll document another WIP and get the clock started on that one. 

See you all then,

Maus











No comments:

Post a Comment