Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Thinking of Boston

Eleven days ago, we were all shocked by the terrorist attack near the finish line at the Boston Marathon.   I grew up in Lowell, MA about 35 miles northwest of Boston, attended college on Beacon Hill and have fond memories of standing near the finish line at a couple of marathons on Patriot's Day.   I copied the following button from the Boston Modern Quilt Guild blog and I think it clearly represents the resilience of the people of Greater Boston. 

We're hearing so much about the evil perpetrators of the heinous attack and not enough about the victims, who will undoubtedly need financial assistance as well as, our love and support.   

Here is a link to the fund announced by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor, Thomas Menino to help the relief efforts for those who suffered horrific injuries on April 15, 2013.




                                                                         Donate Here



I was also heartened by the outpouring of love within the quilting community.....





And a few days ago, the Boston Modern Quilt Guild, of which I am a member, put out the call to quilters worldwide to send in completed blocks so they could make comfort quilts for those affected by the terrorist attack.

Here is a link to their post requesting blocks....Quilts for Boston  and a photo from the BMQG blog displaying the fabric color palette for the blocks which must be postmarked by May 24th.  


Quilts for Boston Color Scheme

Today's BMQG post showed a photo of the first block received and it has only been a couple of days since they put out the call.

Many of the inspiring quilters behind the quilt blogs I regularly follow have already posted photos of the blocks they've made for Boston, so I knew I needed to check my stash and join this effort.

Here's a photo of the fabric I purchased today when I really should have been looking through my fabric stash.   I have some yellow, teal and blue Pearl Bracelet fabric left over from the Bloom Bloom Pow Quilt-a-long I'm doing with Lee at Freshly Pieced and that will fit in perfectly with my fabric bundles below.   I may have to find more blues to balance the grays.



Now I just have to decide what blocks I want to make.     I'm giving myself one week to make 10 to 12 blocks for the BMQG.

So stay tuned.



Maus




1 comment:

  1. Yvonne...great post here...got your message and will pass the word on to the JMQG! We'll miss you at the meeting...there's always next month :-)

    ReplyDelete